This position reports directly to the Production Manager and supervises Scenery Assistant, Carpenters, Props, Electrics, Sound, Charge Painter and Deck Chief/Automation Technician. This is a full-time, salaried position.
The T.D. will supervise and regulate shop activities and personnel. The T.D. will consult with and advise the Production Manager with respect to budget and hiring contract labor.
- Act as liaison with scenic, lighting, and sound designers and determine in consultation with the Production Manager, the technical and budgetary feasibility of scene, prop, and lighting designs. Supply technical information and budget estimate information for seasonal projections.
- Determine construction methods, schedules, materials, and mechanics for the scene, lighting, and sound design of each production, Academy shows, and for the annual fund-raising projects.
- Recommend design changes where appropriate to match the given personnel and financial resources available.
- Determine assignment of work in the shop, and supervise and assist where needed in the construction of all scenic elements. Work on specialized scenic construction projects as required.
- Produce construction drawings as needed.
- Supervise the installation and striking of each set, including all rigging and mechanical devices. Insure proper functioning and safety of all moving scenic elements.
- Maintain and enforce schedules for all builds, load-ins and strikes.
- Ensure budgetary control of materials and labor for all productions and assigned projects.
- Supervise safety and maintenance of the scene shop, stage, and all shop equipment.
- Recommend candidates for staffing the scene shop to the Production Manager.
- Recommend staff changes and take appropriate disciplinary action when necessary.
- Organize the use of shop spaces, storage areas, and organize and supervise the usage of the stage by Scenery, Props, Electrics and Sound.
- Other duties as assigned
A minimum of five (5) years experience in theatrical construction or its equivalent. A minimum of two years technical supervisory experience. Proven ability as a carpenter, draftsman, and theatre technician with experience in rigging and utilizing standard mechanical devices (electric winches, turntables, pneumatic cylinders, etc.) is required. Experience with loading in rental scenic elements on a national tour level. Ability to communicate effectively with guest artists and colleagues. Ability to bid accurately and execute designs within a specific schedule. Good communication skills and the ability to organize and direct crews. Proven skills and aptitude in word processing and spreadsheet programs. Understanding of basic budgeting and bookkeeping practices.
This position starts as soon as possible.
PLEASE SEND A COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Technical Director Job Search
LYRIC THEATRE OF OKLAHOMA
1727 NW 16th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73106
Lyric Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, age, disability, U.S. veteran status, or sexual orientation.